- "Text Representation and Interchange in the Digital Age", at
Annual conference of the Japanese Association for Digital Humanities 2012 at University of Tokyo, Sep. 15-17, 2012.
- "Some observations concerning rules and the violation of rules in Chan/Zen Buddhism", at Public Notion of Crime and Law in East Asia, Münster University, Sep. 3-5, 2012.
- "The Digital Daozang Jiyao -- How to get the edition into the Scholar's labs", at
Digital Humanities 2012, July 16-20, 2012 at Hamburg University.
- "Considerations for the technical infrastructure of the Union Catalog of Buddhist Texts", at 2nd IABU Conference, May 31 - June 2, 2012 at Mahachulalongkorn University, Ayutthaya, Thailand.
- "Towards an Architecture for Active Reading", at
Research Foundations for Understanding Books and Reading in the Digital Age: Text
, Nov. 18, 2011 at Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto.
Beyond TEI: Returning the text to the reader at
Annual meeting of the TEI 2011, University of Würzburg, Oct. 10-16, 2011.
- "Text Representation and Collaboration -- Reclaiming the Electronic Text as a Base
for Research", at
Osaka Symposium on Digital Humanities, Sep 12-14, 2011 at University of Osaka.
- "The role of the Tripitaka Koreana as a Model of the Digital Tripitaka", at
International Symposium in Commemoration of Millenial Anniversary of the Tripitaka
Koreana. Millenial Tripitaka Koreana, Communicate with the World
Gwangjon (Korea), Sep.30, 2011.
- "Towards building a Digital Tripitaka in East Asia", at
International Symposium in Commemoration of the Millenium Year for the Publication
of the Tripitaka Koreana
, Oct. 19, 2010 at Gwangjon (Korea).
"Mandoku – An Incubator for Premodern Chinese Texts – or How to Get the Text We Want:
An Inquiry into the Ideal Workflow"at
Digital Humanities 2010
, July 8 -11, 2010 at King's College London.
Rebirth of the Daozang Jiyao -- The never-ending Process of Creating a Digital Edition "at
Cultural Crossings: China and Beyond in the Medieval Period Conference -- Digital
Projects in Asian Art and Humanities Workshop
, March 11-13, 2010 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
Some Remarks Concerning Digital Editions of Premodern Chinese Texts "at
New Directions in Textual Scholarship
, March 25-27, 2010 at the University of Saitama and the Printing Museum in Tokyo.
海外Digital Humanitiesの動向と日本 "at
The First International Conference on Culture and Computing, Feb 22 - 23, 2010 in Kyoto.
- "Digital Editions of Premodern Chinese Texts: Methods and Problems – Exemplified
using the Dàozàng jíyào", presented at Early Chán Manuscripts among the Dūnhuáng Findings --
Resources in the Mark-up and Digitization of Historical Texts at University of Oslo, Sep. 28 to Oct. 3, 2009(
- "Preliminary Remarks to a Study of Rhetorical Devices in Chan Yülu", presented at ZEN TEXTS AS "PUBLIC" DOCUMENTS –
ZEN RHETORIC IN A DIACHRONIC
AND COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVE, Oslo and Rosendal Aug. 25 to Sep. 1st, 2008.
- "Digitization of Buddhist Texts – Recent Developments", presented at Buddhist Epigraphy in China – State of the field and new methodologies, Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften, July 3 - 6, 2008.
- "Reading the Text, Weaving the Web: Scholarly Interactions with Digital Text", presented at EBTI after 15 and CBETA at 10 Years:
Joint International Conference on Digital Buddhist Studies, Dharma Drum Buddhist College Taipei, February 15-17, 2008.
From Text to Topics - Zigzagging Towards the Knowledgebase of Tang
, presented at ACH/ALLC 2005, Victoria University,
June 16, 2005.
- "From Text to Information -- Small Steps towards a Knowledgebase of Tang
Civilization", presented at the Symposium New developments in East
Asian text processing, China National Library. Beijing, Jan. 22, 2005.
- "The CBETA Electronic Tripitaka: Text in a new context", presented at
the symposium Chinese Stone inscriptions for Eternity, Heidelberger
Akademie der Wissenschaften, July 12-14, 2004.
- "New developments in the WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts",
presented at the Conference of the International Association of Buddhist Studies at
Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, December 12th, 2002.
- "Mulitple encodings in Unicode: Topic maps to the rescue", presented
at the PNC Annual Conference and Joint Meetings 2002 at Osaka City University,
September 22nd, 2002.
- "Unicode and beyond: encoding of rare and variant characters. A progress
report from the TEI Character Encoding working group", presented at the PNC
Annual Conference and Joint Meetings 2002 at Osaka City University, September 21st,
- "Encoding of glyph variants -- some preliminary experiments "ALLC/ACH
Joint Conference, Tübingen University, July 25th, 2002.
- "TEI meets Unicode", at the First TEI Members meeting in Pisa,
November 17, 2001.
- "Digital Resources in Buddhist Studies", Symposium of the Japanese
Association of Indian and Buddhist Studies to Commemorate its 50th Anniversary, Tokyo,
July 1st, 2001.
"TEI and Topic Maps", ACH/ALLC Joint Conference, New York University,
June 16th, 2001.
"Charting of Unknown Territory: Application of Topic Maps to Chan-Buddhist
Chronicles", 2001 EBTI International Conference, Dongguk University, Seoul,
Korea, May 26th, 2001.
"A Project for Dealing with the Missing Character Problem", with C.C.
Hsieh and John Lehman, 2001 EBTI International Conference, Dongguk University, Seoul,
Korea, May 26th, 2001.
"A Study on Creation and Application of Electronic Chinese Buddhist Texts: With
the Yogacarabhumi as a Case Study", with Ven. Huimin Bhikkhu, Aming Tu,
Lijuan Guo, and Ray Chou, 2001 EBTI International Conference, Dongguk University,
Seoul, Korea, May 25th, 2001.
"CBETA Taisho Electronic Tripitaka", with Ven. Huimin Bhikkhu and Aming
Tu, 2001 EBTI International Conference, Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea, May 25th,
"Research Methods and Digital Resources in Buddhist Studies", presented
at the International Conference on Buddhism and the 21st Century Digital Information
Society, Research Institute of the Tripitaka Koreana, Seoul, Korea, December 7-9,
"SMART project: Methods for computer-based research of premodern Chinese
texts", conference paper at the ALLC/ACH annual conference in Glasgow, U.K,
"Toward a Web-based Scholar's Workbench", conference paper at the Third
Conference on Sinology, Taipei, June 30th, 2000.
"System for Markup And Retrieval of Texts (SMART): An Update", talk held
at the 6th EBTI meeting on January 15th, 2000 at the University of California,
"Buddhist Texts, Markup and Linguistic Research", talk held at the
'Conference on Linguistic Studies in Chinese Buddhist texts' at Chongcheng University,
Chiayi, Taiwan on October 19th, 1999. (in Chinese)
"TEI (SGML/XML) for Chinese Documents - a preliminary report", talk held
at the Seminar 'On problems representing characters in premodern Chinese electronic
documents' at the Institute for History and Phonology, Academia Sinica on June 16th,
1999 in Taipei, Taiwan. (in Chinese)
"Die Digitalisierung der buddhistischen Schriften - Bestandsaufnahme und
Ausblick", talk held at the Sinological Department of the University of
Tubingen, Germany on May 20th, 1999.
"Knots in the Net - Steps to Standardization of Electronic Buddhist
Texts", talk held at the 5th EBTI meeting on January 20th, 1999 in Taipei,
"Use of Rare Characters in Networked Environments", presentation given at
the 8th meeting of the Documentation Centers in Japan September 18th, 1998 in Tokyo,
Japan. (in Japanese)
"SMART project and the WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist Texts", talk at
the 4th EBTI meeting on October 23rd, 1997 in Kyoto, Japan.
"Unicode rückt naher - Erste Eindrücke der praktischen Arbeit mit der
universellen Kodierung", talk held on July 18th, 1997 at the 4th Conference
of East-Asian Librarians in Tübingen, Germany.
"Beyond paper and printing", talk held on July 9th , 1997 at the 35.
International Congress of Asian and North African Studies (ICANAS) in Budapest,
"Taming the masses. A practical approach to the encoding of variant and rare
characters in premodern Chinese texts.", talk held on March 7th, 1997 at the
Institute for Information Science of Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan.
"Minimal Markup and More - Some Requirements for Public Texts", talk at
the 3rd EBTI meeting April, 7th, 1996 in Taipei, Taiwan.
"The Chinese Character Encoding Framework (CEF): Encoding all Chinese
Characters", talk at the 2nd Electronic Buddhist Text Initiative (EBTI) meeting
Oct. 1st, 1994 in Haiensa, Korea and Oct. 2nd 1994 in Seoul, Korea.
- "Electronic Buddhist Texts, Collaboration and the Sharing of Knowledge", at the
XVIth Congress of the IABS, June 20-25, 2011 at Dharma Drum Buddhist College in Taipei, Taiwan.