This is the personal webpage of Christian Wittern, Professor at the Center for Informatics in East-Asian Studies of the Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University. There is also an institutional page.
My office is at the socalled Bunkan, the isolate, building to the right on the last image here. I can be reached by phone at (075) 753-6966, fax is (075) 753-6999 and my email is wittern (at) zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp.
Being a Sinologist by training, my research interest center on the development of the Chan (Japanese: Zen) school of Chinese Buddhism from Tang to early Song. However, most of my current work is done in Digital Humanities in a very broad sense, focussing on representation and usage of digital text and its features.
After almost 10 years, I decided to give this page a new face. Scattered pieces of some of the previous versions are still available. Not everything has been moved over yet, but I decided it was time to go live with this (and get back to other work).
- [2019-03-15] A pre-release version of Thesaurus Linguae Sericae (TLS 漢學文典) is now online.
- [2016-03-10] The Kanseki Repository is now officially released.
- [2009-06-21] Added a digital version of the A catalogue of the Chinese translations of the Buddhist Tripitaka, Oxford 1883, by Bunyiu Nanjio (1849-1927) [PDF, ca 33MB]
- page with tools to search digital collection of Buddhist texts, at the moment there are just some plugins for Firefox.
- [2008-12-12] Added a page with tools to search digital collection of Buddhist texts, at the moment there are just some plugins for Firefox.
- [2008-03-27] Articles from Essays on East Asian Religion and Culture online
- [2008-03-12] Started redesign of the website, sigh